How do they prepare for the likely impacts?
Climate adaptation plans should be flexible – and account for a wide range of events or scenarios. The best plans will consider:
- The vital role of energy in supporting civil society. Reliability is critical: Utilities must be able to maintain a continuous supply of energy and energy-related services to customers.
- Which infrastructure is most vulnerable to potential climate change impacts?
- What is the risk to both infrastructure and operations?
- How climate change will impact customer demand for energy?
- How climate vulnerability assessments can be updated to reflect the development of new technologies – or the release of new climate science?
Throughout the process of updating and enhancing their climate adaptation plans, Sempra’s California utilities will continue to engage with impacted communities. Listening, responding to and incorporating community input will ensure these plans are flexible and resilient in a changing world.