At Sempra Energy, we believe there will be more change to the energy industry in the next 30 years than in the past 100. Leadership, innovation and technology are helping to forge our path forward. It all comes together as part of our strategic commitment to sustainable growth.
At Sempra Energy, sustainability isn’t a new trend. For decades, we have managed our business with a view towards serving the needs of all our stakeholders.
It all starts with safety. Every employee and contractor — from the front office to the front line — is an active part of our comprehensive safety culture. At any time, anyone may “stop the job” to double-check safety. It is a mindset that we practice and reinforce with industry-leading programs. Our safety culture also extends to our 21st century investments in smart, resilient infrastructure that reduces fire risk and improves overall electric and pipeline safety. Together, we are committed to building a safe and more resilient business.
We have also focused on regularly engaging our employees, customers, policy makers and suppliers to understand their needs. One of our core values is “championing people,” which can better position us to identify and manage business risks and opportunities. We believe this commitment to listening and learning furthers a culture of continuous improvement and results in more resilient operations and sustainable growth.
Our 18,000 employees take pride in the recognition Sempra Energy has received as a leader in sustainable growth. Our honors in 2019 include:
- "A–" grade from CDP (formerly the Climate Disclosure Project) compared to the North America regional average of C.
- "A" grade from Morgan Stanley Capital International (MSCI) and recognition as an “ESG leader” in corporate governance, toxic emissions and waste, and carbon emissions.
- Fortune Magazine’s World’s Most Admired Companies for 2020.
- Forbes’ America’s Best Employers for Diversity.
- Newsweek’s America’s Most Responsible Companies.
- Investor’s Business Daily’s Best ESG Companies.
- Barron’s Top 100 Most Sustainable Companies in America.
Additionally, Sempra Energy is the only North American utility holding company to be included in the Dow Jones Sustainability World Index.
Together, our employees deliver energy with purpose, with an ever-present focus on shaping a more sustainable future.