SDG&E offers tips for safe, 'green' holiday season
San Diego Gas & Electric
SAN DIEGO, Dec. 14, 2009 – San Diego Gas & Electric (SDG&E) is encouraging its customers to deck the halls with energy-efficient holiday decorations to help the environment and save money at the same time.
“As we prepare for the holidays, we hope customers will keep safety and energy conservation at the top of the list,” said Hal D. Snyder, vice president of customer solutions for SDG&E. “For example, switching to LED bulbs for holiday decorations has a number of benefits—they’re shatterproof and cool to the touch, making them safer for your home and family, while being about 90-percent more efficient.”
This year, SDG&E offered free strands of light-emitting diode (LED) holiday lights to customers who brought in their old incandescent light strands and swapped 20,000 strands at eight exchange events throughout San Diego County. SDG&E’s lighting exchanges are held all year long where customers can get energy-efficient products like floor and table lamps as well as get more information on rebates and other services.
In addition to energy-saving LED lights, SDG&E is offering the following other holiday tips:
• Keep all electrical connections off the ground and dry.
• Save energy by unplugging holiday lights and electronic equipment when leaving home or going to sleep.
• Water indoor Christmas trees regularly to keep them moist and prevent a fire hazard.
• Brighten someone’s holiday by giving them a compact fluorescent light bulb—they cost one-fourth as much to operate as a conventional light bulb and last up to 10 times longer.
• Weatherize. Use caulking on window frames, baseboards and electrical outlets to prevent air leaks. Ensure ceilings, walls and floors are adequately insulated to cut heating costs.
• Keep the flue damper tightly closed when the fireplace is not in use. A chimney is designed specifically for smoke to escape, so warm air will escape unless it’s closed.
SDG&E offers free home improvements, which may include appliance repairs and replacements to qualifying customers. For more information on low-income assistance, visit http://sdge.com/residential/assistance/.
For more energy-savings tips to use throughout the year, visit http://sdge.com/residential/ or call 1-800-411-SDGE (7343).
SDG&E is a regulated public utility that provides safe and reliable energy service to 3.4 million consumers through 1.4 million electric meters and more than 840,000 natural gas meters in San Diego and southern Orange counties. The utility’s area spans 4,100 square miles. Exceptional customer service is a priority of SDG&E as it seeks to enhance the region’s quality of life. SDG&E is a subsidiary of Sempra Energy (NYSE: SRE), a Fortune 500 energy services holding company based in San Diego.
CategorySan Diego Gas & Electric , Sempra Energy