Mobile Gas announces rate reduction
MOBILE, Ala., Dec. 1, 2009 – Mobile Gas today announced a rate decrease of 13.3 percent, effective December 1, 2009. The rate reduction results in an annual cost savings of $111 for the typical Mobile Gas residential customer.
“The rate reduction is the second we have announced this year, and it reflects a trend in lower natural gas costs that we can pass directly to our customers,“ said Mike Fine, president of Mobile Gas. “This is especially good news because demand for natural gas peaks during the cool winter months.”
In April, Mobile Gas announced a 3 percent decline in residential customer natural gas rates.
While the rate decrease is positive news, Mobile Gas urges customers to conserve to help reduce energy bills. A few energy saving tips customers should consider:
• Have gas furnaces checked annually by a licensed contractor
• Check your furnace filter monthly for lint build-up and clean or replace when necessary
• Lower the thermostat on your heater and water heater
• Caulk or seal air leaks around plumbing, electrical wiring and exterior penetrations on walls, floors, or ceilings
• Eliminate air leaks around doors, windows, and baseboards
Mobile Gas is a natural gas utility serving approximately 95,000 residential, commercial and industrial customers in Mobile and the surrounding areas of southwest Alabama. The utility is a unit of Sempra Energy’s Sempra Pipelines & Storage subsidiary. Sempra Energy (NYSE: SRE) is a Fortune 500 energy services holding company based in San Diego.