The Gas Company offers businesses energy-saving tips
Southern California Gas Co.
LOS ANGELES, Nov. 1, 2006 – Businesses throughout the state are likely to see lower natural gas bills this winter as compared with last year. Mild weather, high inventories of natural gas in storage, and no production losses due to hurricanes like last year have helped to moderate natural gas prices nationwide. Still, Southern California Gas Co. (The Gas Company) encourages its business customers to use energy wisely and offers these tips that may help businesses save money by increasing their energy efficiency:
• Take advantage of available incentives and rebates for qualifying energy-efficient upgrades to the business or facility.
• Take an online survey to determine your energy usage and find out how to improve your business’ energy efficiency. The survey can be found at www.socalgas.com/business.
• Enroll in energy-efficiency training courses, such as those offered at The Gas Company’s Energy Resource Center. An online calendar of business seminars and training can be viewed at www.socalgas.com/business.
• Have a qualified, licensed technician test, clean and adjust gas-fired equipment.
• During the heating season, inspect air filters once a month and clean or replace air filters at least twice, or as recommended by the manufacturer.
• Repair leaky or disconnected ducts to prevent loss of heated air.
• Caulk cracks around windows, doors and other openings.
• Set programmable thermostats to turn heating on 30 minutes before people arrive, and off 30 minutes to 60 minutes before they leave. Set them no higher than 68 degrees Fahrenheit during occupied periods in the winter.
• Close window coverings at night and during unoccupied periods to retain heat indoors. Open window coverings during the day to allow the sun’s heat indoors.
• Check all lighting timers to ensure they are turning interior and exterior lights on and off at appropriate times.
For more details on money-saving, energy-efficiency opportunities, take a look at The Gas Company’s energy-efficiency guide at www.socalgas.com/business.
The Gas Company is the nation’s largest natural gas distribution utility, providing safe and reliable energy to 19.8 million consumers through 5.6 million meters. The company’s service territory encompasses approximately 20,000 square miles in most of central and Southern California. The Gas Company strives to provide exceptional customer service to enhance the quality of life in the community. The Gas Company is a regulated subsidiary of Sempra Energy (NYSE: SRE). Sempra Energy, based in San Diego, is a Fortune 500 energy services holding company.
CategorySempra Energy , Southern California Gas Company