SoCalGas Offers Customers Tips to Safely Prepare Homes for Colder Weather and Save on Energy Costs
Rebates available for energy efficient home upgrades
LOS ANGELES, Nov. 6, 2017 /PRNewswire/ -- Southern California Gas Co. (SoCalGas) today issued tips to homeowners on ways to safely winterize their homes and to help save on energy costs. During cold weather, it's possible to use three to seven times more natural gas than in summer months as your home heater responds to your thermostat settings and your water heater works harder to keep water hot. It is also important to do a safety check of your heating units before winter weather begins.
Home heating safety tips:
- Never store or use highly flammable products in the same room as any natural gas or heat-producing appliances. This includes gasoline, spray paints, foggers, varnish and other pressurized containers.
- Never store ordinary combustibles such as rags, mops or paper on or near an appliance.
- Never use your oven, range top or outdoor barbecue to heat your home. These appliances are not designed for this purpose.
- Make sure your natural gas heater is vented.
- If you suspect that you or someone else is suffering from carbon monoxide poisoning, call 911 immediately.
For more safety tips, visit: https://www.socalgas.com/stay-safe/safety-and-prevention/appliance-maintenance-and-safety
Save on energy costs with these simple steps:
- Customers can save 10 to 15 percent on heating costs by lowering the temperature setting on their furnace three to five degrees.
- Have air ducts tested. Leaky ducts can cost customers anywhere from 10 to 30 percent in heating and cooling costs.
- Install caulking and weather-stripping around doors and windows. This can save about 10 to 15 percent in energy costs.
- Clean or replace furnace filters.
- Install a smart thermostat.
- Install an energy efficient furnace.
SoCalGas also offers a Home Upgrade Program which takes a comprehensive, "whole-house" approach to energy efficiency. For more information, visit https://www.socalgas.com/save-money-and-energy/rebates-and-incentives/energy-upgrade-california.
Headquartered in Los Angeles, SoCalGas® is the largest natural gas distribution utility in the United States, providing clean, safe, affordable and reliable natural gas service to 21.7 million customers in Central and Southern California. Its service territory spans 22,000 square miles from Fresno to the Mexican border, reaching more than 550 communities through 5.9 million meters and 101,000 miles of pipeline. More than 90 percent of Southern California single-family home residents use natural gas for home heat and hot water. In addition, natural gas plays a key role in providing electricity to Californians—about 60 percent of electric power generated in the state comes from gas-fired power plants.
SoCalGas has served communities in California for 150 years and is committed to being a leader in the region's clean energy future. The company has committed to spending $6 billion over the next five years to modernize and upgrade its gas infrastructure, while also reducing methane emissions. SoCalGas is working to accelerate the use of renewable natural gas, a carbon-neutral or carbon-negative fuel created by capturing and conditioning greenhouse gas emissions from farms, landfills and wastewater treatment plants. The company is a subsidiary of Sempra Energy (NYSE: SRE), a Fortune 500 energy services holding company based in San Diego. For more information visit socalgas.com/newsroom or connect with SoCalGas on Twitter (@SoCalGas), Instagram (@SoCalGas) and Facebook.
SOURCE Southern California Gas Company
Christine Detz, Office of Media and Public Information, (213) 244-8176, email@example.com
CategoríaSouthern California Gas Company , Sempra Energy