CEO Jeffrey Martin's Full Remarks at EEI’s Annual Convention
Remarks as prepared for delivery by Sempra Energy CEO Jeffrey Martin at Edison Electric Institute’s opening general session at the Annual Convention held in San Diego on June 5, 2018.
Good morning and welcome to San Diego!
Thank you for the kind introduction, Tom.
We’re honored to be joined by you, Pat, Lynn and Chris Crane, and all of the distinguished leaders and CEOs that make up the EEI board of directors.
Many of you may know that San Diego is known as “America’s Finest City” – but it is also home port to the U.S. Navy’s Pacific Fleet – with over 50 ships and more than 100,000 men and women in uniform.
As a former Army officer, I must confess it’s been an adjustment for me – but Tom – I trust you’ll feel right at home here in our Navy town.
What I’d like to do today is three things:
- Provide a quick overview of Sempra and some of our priorities;
- Discuss the importance of our San Diego roots;
- And then, of course, introduce our mayor – Kevin Faulconer.
At Sempra Energy, we share EEI’s commitment to service – we take great pride in having the opportunity to improve the quality of life of our customers and our communities.
For us, this means:
- A willingness to look at the world differently;
- A willingness to be bold; and
- A willingness to innovate.
At Sempra, we are inspired by the ideal of serving something greater than ourselves – and we understand that our future starts with our customers.
To be successful, we have developed a strategy that’s focused on developing Tier 1 positions in the largest addressable markets:
- California is the 5th largest economy in the world – we serve 24 million consumers right here.
- We have a Tier 1 position in Texas – the 10th largest economy in the world – we serve 10 million consumers there.
- We have a leadership position in Mexico, which is the 15th largest economy in the world – and has a GDP that is expected to double in the next two decades.
- Liquified natural gas is another top priority – we aim to help American producers reach new markets in Europe and Asia.
So, what does this mean to our 20,000 employees? It means they get to come to work each day – and serve the basic energy needs of 43 million people worldwide.
While Sempra has a growing international footprint, we’re committed to being a responsible partner in all of the communities we serve – and, that commitment to service – that commitment to having a positive impact beyond our bottom line – was born right here in San Diego.
San Diego Gas & Electric was founded here in 1881 – and the values of this community are now shared across every corner of Sempra from Peru to Hawaii to North Texas.
Let me briefly talk about San Diego:
It is a community that promotes sustainability.
- We’ve worked with leading research institutions, local universities, innovative businesses and city leaders – like Mayor Kevin Faulconer who you’ll hear from shortly – to develop real solutions to one of our community’s greatest challenges – cleaning our air.
San Diego is also a community with a world view.
- Our proximity to Mexico is a significant advantage.
- We have economic, social and cultural ties that bind our binational region of just over 5 million consumers.
Also, San Diego is a community that’s all about innovation.
- Take for example San Diego Gas & Electric’s work with UC San Diego and other research institutions that resulted in greater understanding of wildfires so we can better protect our communities and improve resiliency.
- We are also home to biotechnology companies that are working to solve some of human kinds greatest challenges.
- And finally – we have more than 80 world-renowned research institutions that are shaping the next generation of visionaries who will make the world better.
In closing – no one knows more about the unique spirit of San Diego than our mayor – Kevin Faulconer.
At Sempra Energy and San Diego Gas & Electric, we’re fortunate to work with a civic leader who shares our focus on serving others.
Mayor Faulconer is known for leadership – not partisanship. He has been a driving influence in bringing our diverse city together with a focus on results-driven governance.
Shortly after taking office, Mayor Faulconer began implementing his vision for “One San Diego,” an inclusive city government that creates opportunities for all San Diegans and delivers results for every neighborhood.
Under his leadership:
- Our neighborhoods are receiving critical funding for improvements;
- Emergency response times have improved;
- There is now more transparency in city spending;
- San Diego has become a better place to do business;
- He has strengthened binational relations; and
- Our city is earning global recognition for its leadership in environmental innovation.
Under Mayor Faulconer’s leadership, San Diego has established some of the most aggressive clean-energy and carbon-reduction initiatives in the nation.
With that – please join me in giving a warm EEI-welcome to our city’s mayor – the Honorable Kevin Faulconer.